our terms and conditions
The Learning Community
1. The Learning Community is The Learning Circle or TLC run by The Mindful Learning Project.
2. The Educators are those who offer education and pastoral support for the students.
3. TLC Meeting means the democratic assembly of staff and students acting collectively with respect to the policies, rules and regulations and general conduct of TLC.
4. The Parent/s are those who have parental responsibility for the student. We see parents as important partners in the children’s education and communication is key to having a positive relationship with TLC. Parents are encouraged to give their support and encouragement to the aims of TLC and constructive criticism is always welcome.
5. Our Aims: The aims of TLC are described on the website. We are committed to high standards of learning and care. Students learn to exercise responsibility in their own choices of activity, and in their participation in the government of TLC.
6. Changes at TLC: A successful community must initiate and respond to change. The offer of a place and its acceptance are given on the basis that, in the interests of TLC as a whole, reasonable changes may be made from time to time to these standard terms and conditions, to the curriculum the structure and composition of classes the way TLC is run, to the rules and disciplinary framework, to the length of TLC terms and TLC day and to any other aspect of TLC. Fee levels will be reviewed each year and there will be reasonable increases from time to time. If the ownership or legal status of TLC changes, TLC’s rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions will be deemed assigned to the new entity. Parents would be consulted and/or given adequate notice of any significant proposals or change of policy likely to affect TLC community as a whole.
7. The Standard Terms and Conditions: The rules about change and about notice and fees in lieu of notice and the other rules set out below are provided in good faith. They promote the stability, forward-planning, proper resourcing and development of TLC. They help also to protect parents from increases in fees and liabilities caused by the defaults of others. Any waiver is effective only if given in writing by TLC personally. The Fees List, as varied from time to time, is part of these Terms and Conditions. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions affects the statutory rights of parents.
Care and Good Discipline
1. Attendance: When a student is absent, the parents must tell TLC or the teacher.
2. Behaviour policy: Parents agree to follow the behaviour policy of TLC as approved by TLC democratic meeting.
3. Conduct of TLC: The Lead Teacher, under the instructions of TLC Meeting, is responsible for the education of students while they are in the charge of TLC or its staff and for the day to day running of TLC and the curriculum. The Lead Teacher, under the instructions of TLC Meeting, is responsible also for the imposition of any sanction including exclusion for non-payment of fees, suspension during investigation or following a breach of TLC discipline, and removal or expulsion under clause 6 below.
Admission and Entry to TLC
1. a) Registration: Students will be considered as candidates for the admission and entry to TLC when the Registration Form has been completed and returned to us and the returnable deposit fee paid. Admission and entry will be subject to the availability of a place and the student satisfying the admission requirements at the time. TLC operates an equal opportunities policy.
2. b) Offer of a Place and Deposit/s: If, in due course, a place is offered, the deposit/s are set out in the Fees List as varied from time to time. The Acceptance Deposit will be repaid by means of a credit without interest to the final payment of fees or other sums due to TLC on leaving. Until credited it will form part of the general funds of TLC.
Fees and Extras
Items Covered: Fees cover all educational activities organised during the learning day. They do not cover books and stationery.
Payment of fees and extras: Each invoice must be paid before the first day of term if paying termly or in a three month installments, if paying monthly. A student may be excluded from TLC at any time when fees are unpaid and will be deemed withdrawn without notice 28 days after exclusion. (Then a term’s fees in lieu of notice will be payable). TLC is agent only in respect of any goods and services which are supplied by a third party via TLC to students or their parents.
Fees will not be refunded or waived for an absence through sickness; or if a term is shortened or a vacation extended; or for any other cause except at the sole discretion of TLC.
1. Responsibility for payment: Fees are the responsibilities of each person who has signed the Registration Form, whether this be the parent, guardian or an institution (e.g. L.A. or school) which is taking responsibilities for the fees.
2. Payment of fees by a third party: An agreement with a third party to pay the fees or any other sum due to TLC does not release parents from any liability under these terms and conditions unless an express release has been given in writing and signed by the bursar of TLC who reserves the right to refuse a payment from a third party. All such payments received are accepted in good faith.
3. Late Payment: The right is reserved to make late payment charges composed of simple interest calculated on a daily basis at 1.5% per month, from the first day of each term, and are unpaid by the due date. It is agreed that late payment charges should reflect the commercial rates that would be applied by a financial institution in a case of unauthorised and unsecured borrowing. Such charges will be recoverable by action if presented immediately and will not be considered as payment until cleared. Any sum tendered that is less than the sum due and owing may in any event be accepted by TLC on account only. The contents of clauses 3 and 4 of these terms and conditions are intended to protect those parents who pay fees on time and to safeguard TLC against consequences of the defaults of others.
4. Installment arrangements: An agreement by TLC to accept payment of fees by standing order or direct debit or any other arrangement for payment of fees by installments is concessionary and will cease automatically in the event of any default for 30 days or more on ceasing, the full amount of fees then due shall be payable forthwith as a debt and interest will start to accrue.
Events Requiring Notice in Writing: Definitions
Notice to be given by parents means (unless the contrary is stated in these terms and conditions) 8 weeks of term time (not including any holidays) written notice addressed to and actually received by the Bursar.
Provisional Notice is valid only for the term in which it is given and only when written and accepted in writing by the Bursar.
If a student has been accepted in advance and parents wish to withdraw, deposits will be returned if 8 weeks or more notice is given. Parents who withdraw giving less than 8 weeks notice before entry will not have to pay fees in lieu, but the deposit will be retained by TLC.
Cases of serious illness or genuine hardship may receive special consideration on written request.
Withdrawal from TLC:
8 class weeks of written notice is required if a student is to be withdrawn from TLC. If the fees have been paid in full to cover the notice period, the deposit will be returned. The student’s decision to withdraw from TLC shall, for these purposes, be treated as a withdrawal by the parents.
4 class weeks’ notice is required if a child is changing to a lower number of days per week.
In the event of a serious bad behavior students are given time to reflect on their behaviour and required to attend a meeting with the lead teacher and their parents before they can be readmitted into TLC. This meeting is to show that they have learnt from their experience about what is acceptable behaviour and are ready to re-join the cohort. If the child and parent fail to come to a meeting this is a failure to abide by our behaviour policy and considered as a withdrawal of the child from TLC. (see behaviour policy).
The main reason for these rules is to ensure that we have a stable student body with no unforeseen changes as this is vitally important for the development of all the children concerned. The children themselves want to be part of a stable cohort to develop friendships and collaboration. Furthermore, students and parents need to be committed to advancing their education at our TLC as a long-term project. TLC also requires sufficient notice with which to plan fee levels, other resources and the curriculum. TLC Year is deemed to start on 1 September in each year.
Removal and Expulsion of a Student
a) Removal at the Request of TLC: Parents may be required, during or at the end of a term, to remove the student, without refund of fees, temporarily or permanently from TLC if, after consultation with a parent, TLC meeting or the management is of the opinion that the conduct or progress of the student has been unsatisfactory or if the student, in the judgement of the management, is unwilling or unable to profit from the educational opportunities offered and in any such case removal is considered to be warranted. The Acceptance Deposit will be refunded in the event of removal from TLC and fees in lieu of notice will not be charged but all outstanding fees will be payable in full.
b) Expulsion: A student may be expelled at any time if TLC Meeting or the management is reasonably satisfied that the student’s conduct has been prejudicial to good order or TLC discipline or to the reputation of TLC (see Exclusion policy). TLC Meeting or the management will act fairly and in accordance with the procedures of natural justice and will not expel a student other than in grave circumstances. In the event of expulsion, TLC Meeting or management decision will need to be ratified by TLC directors. There will be no refund of fees following expulsion (and all unpaid fees must be paid). The Acceptance Deposit will not be returned/credited; but fees in lieu of notice will not be charged.
c) Safe communication between parents and TLC staff: In the event of a breakdown of communication between parents and TLC, for example involving bullying or harassment of staff, it may be necessary to exclude a student. TLC would be responsible for such a decision. There would be no refund of fees nor of the Acceptance Deposit.
d) Behaviour policy
Please see our behaviour policy.
join us for an open day
Find out more about our community